Congratulations! You are the proud of an amazing Pooters Overnight Hemp Fitted diaper.
I designed this diaper after getting sick and tired of waking up in the middle of my night because my son had once again soaked through his nighttime cloth diaper. Before making this diaper, I did a ton of research to understand what would be the best way to make it. I wanted something that would be absorbent, durable, easy to use, and of course, safe for the environment. I eventually landed on a hemp / cotton blend that is soft, durable, and can hold up to a whopping 31 ounces.
And just so you'll love hemp as much as I do, here are a few fun facts I think you should know.
If cared for, your overnight diaper will last you a lifetime. At the bottom of this post are some simple care instructions.
Benefits of Hemp
Hemp can produce 250% more fiber than cotton and 600% more fiber than flax using the same amount of land. It only takes hemp about 3-4 months to grow to full, harvestable size vs. cotton (5 – 6 months) and bamboo (3 – 5 years). Hemp uses only 1/20th the amount of water as regular cotton to grow and process, requires very few pesticides, and no herbicides. Additionally, hemp absorbs more cotton than it produces, making it carbon negative.
In addition to being one of the most sustainable crops on the planet, it is also among the strongest. Hemp is 3 times stronger than cotton and 62% more resistant to tears.
Because hemp fibers are derived from a plant, they are hollow which means when they’re woven into fabric they provide warmth in the winter and help you to keep you cool in the summer.
Hemp’s natural strength also makes it extremely durable. Diapers made with hemp fabric will last 2 to 3 times longer than diapers made from cotton or bamboo.
It wasn’t until the 2018 United States Farm Bill, that it became legal to grow and produce hemp in the United States. As a result, there are very few U.S. based hemp farmers (2 when I last checked), so China remains the world-leader, producing more than 70% of the world's hemp output. Followed distantly by France producing about a quarter of the world’s hemp production.
So as you can see, hemp is an amazing fiber – which is why I chose it for my Overnight Fitted diaper. Here are a few tips on how to care for what will soon be your go-to nighttime diaper for your little one!
- After nighttime wearing, remove the diaper from your baby, rinse it in tap water, and toss in your diaper pail. This will avoid the urine sitting in the diaper too long and potentially causing damage and smell.
- Before tossing in the wash, snap the diaper closed on the loosest settings to avoid it getting snagged on other diapers in the wash.
- Wash hot with detergent (preferably liquid)
Note: Avoid using too much detergent when washing. Hemp is very absorbent and will hold that extra detergent in it's fibers, resulting in detergent build-up which will later cause it to stink.
- Wash cold with no detergent. This will help to soften the diaper fibers.
- Dry thoroughly either on the line or in the dryer.
- If you’ve done all of these things but still notice a smell, add a dose of oxygen bleach to your next wash cycle to get rid of it.