Stripping Your Diapers
Stripping is the process of deep cleaning your diapers in order to eliminate stink, smells, ammonia burns, prevent diaper rash, and improve absorbency.
You need to strip your diapers if...
- your diapers are leaking but they're not fully soaked
- when you sprinkle water on top of your diaper, the water beads up
- your baby gets a rash when you put on a cloth diaper, but the rash immediately disappears if she wears a disposable diaper
- your diapers stink or smell of urine AFTER they’ve been washed
- your baby's diaper has a really strong ammonia smell after being worn all night
- your baby has an ammonia burn or a contact diaper rash
How to strip diapers
- Place clean diapers in a tub
- Fill the tub with hot water
- Add 1/2 cup of Tide original powder detergent
- Let diapers soak for 4 to 8 hours
- Drain the tub
- Rinse each diaper thoroughly under cold running water
- Place rinsed diapers in washing machine
- Run a full wash cycle on HOT with no detergent and 1 cup of bleach (*add 1 capful of Calgon Liquid Water Softener if you have hard water)
- Run another full wash cycle on Hot - no detergent, no bleach
- Watch the rinse cycle. If you see soap suds, repeat Step 9 until you no longer see soap suds in the rinse cycle.
- Dry in the dryer or on a line