This article will cover:
- How does a cloth diaper function?
- Properties of cloth diapers
- What are the different types of cloth diapers?
- What is the best type of Pooters cloth diaper to buy?
- How to start cloth diapering
How does a cloth diaper function?
Like disposable diapers, all cloth diapers have 3 parts - a shell, inner core, and outer waterproof cover.
Properties of cloth diapers
- SHELL - A shell that wraps around your baby to trap the poop
- INNER - An inner core that absorbs the pee
- OUTER - An outer, waterproof layer to keep your clothes dry
What are the different types of cloth diapers?
There are roughly 6 different types of cloth diapers, but they can put into 3 groups. For this article, I'll call the groups Type I, II, and III.
- Type I: All in One cloth diapers have all 3 parts (shell + inner core + outer layer) sewn together in one diaper. These diapers are best used during the daytime and when your baby is a newborn.
- Type II: All in Two and Pocket cloth diapers only have 2 parts (shell + outer layer) sewn together. The inner core is separate.
- Type III: Fitted, Pre-fold, and Flat cloth diapers only have 1 part - the shell. The inner core and outer layer must be bought separately.
What is the best type of Pooters cloth diaper to buy?
At Pooters, making a diaper that is guaranteed not to leak is our number one priority. For that reason, we only sell Type III Fitted diapers - the most absorbent type of cloth diaper. To buy our Fitted diapers, you'll need to first choose your shell, the inner core, and then your outer cover.
Step 1: Choose a Diaper SHELL
We sell two types:
- Hemp Fitteds:
- Made from 6 layers of hemp
- Holds 18 ounces of pee
- Includes snaps to make it easy to put on and take off
- Choose this shell if your baby is a heavy wetter (20 ounces or more), or nurses through the night
- Snapless Fitteds:
- Made from organic cotton
- Holds 8 ounces of pee
- Does not include snaps. You must use a Snappi to secure this diaper around your baby
- Choose this shell if your baby has chunky thighs, is long and lean, or if you're on a budget.
Step 2: Choose an INNER Core
At Pooters, we sell 2 types of inner cores (aka inserts or boosters). These inner cores help to boost how much pee your diaper shell will hold.
- Stay-dry Hemp:
- Made from 7 layers of hemp jersey
- Holds 13 ounces of pee
- Includes a fleece layer to make your baby feel dry even when they're wet
- Choose this inner core if your baby is a heavy wetter, nursing through the night, or is sensitive to wetness.
- Hemp Diaper Booster Pad:
- Made from 6 layers of organic knit hemp terry
- Holds 2.5 ounces of pee
- Choose this inner core to add absorbency to your diaper shell during the day when you're changing the diaper every 2 to 3 hours. This inner core can also be used to increase absorbency in Type I and Type II diapers, as well as disposable diapers.
Step 3: Choose an OUTER Cover
Your Pooters diaper is going to be super absorbent, but you'll still need a waterproof cover to ensure that when the diaper gets wet, it doesn't wet your clothes. At Pooters, we sell 2 types of outer covers.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Fits babies 6 to 40 lbs
- Color-coded snaps make it easy to use and get a leak-free fit
- Machine washable
- Choose this outer cover if you're on a budget, or if you don't have time to hand wash.
- Made from 100% Merino Wool
- Fits babies 6 to 45 lbs
- Perfect for babies with sensitive skin
- Perfect for heavy wetters (babies who pee more than 27 oz a night)
- Must be hand-washed
- Holds up to 5 ounces
- Choose this outer cover if your baby has sensitive skin, or if they are a heavy wetter.
How to Start Cloth Diapering
Below is a rough guide for what you'll need to start cloth diapering with Pooters. The suggestions below will help you be able to cloth diaper for 2.5 days before needing to wash them.
6 to 15 Pounds: :If your baby weighs between 6 and 15 lbs, be prepared to change 12 to 15 diapers a day, and buy this:
- 24 to 30 SHELLS - snapless fitteds
- 24 to 30 INNER cores - hemp diaper booster pads
- 6 to 9 OUTER covers - Small PUL or 2 OUTER covers - Wool
- 6 to 9 Snappi Fasteners
If your baby weighs between 13 to 20 lbs, they will start sleeping through the night. Be prepared to change only 8 to 10 diapers a day and add a nighttime diaper to your routine. Buy this:
- 15 to 20 SHELLS - snapless fitteds
- 15 to 20 INNER cores - stay-dry hemp
- 2 to 3 INNER cores - hemp fitteds (for nighttime)
- 3 to 5 OUTER covers - Small PUL (for daytime)
- 2 OUTER covers - Wool (for nighttime)
- 3 to 5 Snappi Fasteners
If your baby weights more than 20 lbs, you'll need to change diapers even less. Be prepared to change 5 to 8 diapers during the day and use only one diaper at night. Buy this: